Sunday, May 2, 2010

Transport issues: Lille

What is in common between Sunday, Jour Férié (Holiday) and Grèves (Strikes, btw one of the most important French words to know)? => No one wants to work, life gets stuck & what you have to do is take it easy, stay home or just not plan any serious things to do..maximum go for a walk, preferably on foot.

Which of these days is the most uncomfortable in terms of moving to another city? Good question. I decide to think logically – on Sunday no guichets with tickets will be open& having only cash => moving from Lille to Paris would be better on Saturday…But what a surprise, this strategy turned out to be a Huge mistake.

In the film “Bienvenue chez lez Chti’s” they say that in Chti you cry twice: when you arrive & when you leave. I believed in that to the moment of my departure – no way! No crying – no time! Hopefully, a cup of coffee was planned 1h before the train.

Carrying half of my belongings ( a huge “house-on-the-wheels” suitcase, a smaller one, a backpack with an ironer and notebook inside and a camera). In a bit nostalgic mood I arrived to the metro…when suddenly some passing by lady told me: "Mademoiselle, le métro et les buses ne marchent pas aujourd’hui, c’est le 1 mai". At once all my mood crushed, I felt cold-hot-cold….nonononono,not today!!!
Me: C’est sûr??? Elle: Oui,BIEN SUR, c’est le JOUR FERIE.

Well well..I see..Bien Sûr..France..Jours Fériés

HTW am I going to get to the gare ??!No credit on phone, no number of a taxi even..Run run run! Usually it takes 35 min on foot, so I can make it..Easy to say, harder to make true. Why do I have so much stuff???
Hopefully, on the ¾ of the route a friend of mine found me almost deadly tired carrying my luggage, so we manaaged it to the gare 15 before the departure of the train.

Last coffee in Lille..Bien sûr

1 comment:

  1. There seems to be too much stress relating to these Jours Feriees!! I am so happy you have started a blog! Have a wonderful time in Paris and looking forward to reading more!

    lots of london hugs!
    Jose

    ReplyDelete