Friday, May 14, 2010

Transport issues: welcome to Paris

Sitting in the train, all my thoughts were about the Metro..but already the one in Paris. Lille is Lille and Paris is Paris – to cross the whole city with luggage would be a loooot more Impossible.
Suddenly heard some French guy calling someone to Paris, asking whether the metro worked…hm..so maybe it’s not that common to close the metro in France?

But in all this moving rush can’t say anything bad about the French, on the contrary, what are the French like – rather always polite and ready to help. And I understood that not at all from some stereotypes, but from real life.
Trying to get out my HOTW(house-on-the-wheels) from the train, I arranged a traffic jam, but no problems about that, people were ready to wait without even making faces.

So, Welcome to Paris! Next Transport Obstacle – the Parisien Metro, which did work, but it didn’t make it that much easier – Stairs everywhere – to enter, to exit and, of course, to change the line!

That’s amazing, but there wasn’t a single part of stairs where I had to carry my HOTW myself! Every time I just had to come to the stairs, stand there for 5 seconds with a shocked expression of the face (looking at the loooong stairs), when some man always proposed his help. Every time I honestly warned that the HOTW was extremely heavy, they still continued (of course, a man will never show a weakness), just saying smth like Wow!
On one of the stairs a guy with 2 huge suitcases of his own proposed his help, but while I was refusing his help, another guy just took my stuff down :) Afterwards we found out that the giy with the luggage was also going from Lille and also had to carry his stuff to the station on foot.
On some other stairs two ladies helped me to go up the stairs and to get on the train. And finally, the final point – Creteil,my temporary home-station. On the left – loooong staris (around 3 floors up), to the right – elevator..which Certainly was Hors Service, well well,bien sur…
But as usually a passing by man offered his help (poor guy,honestly)..I think he didn’t properly evaluate the horrible combination of HOTW & the stairs. But one more time – when offered help – there is no way back.

So what are the French man like? Looks like Gentils and Helpful

2 comments:

  1. Sabrine!
    Enjoy enjoy enjoy life in Creteil and Paris! I hope you have an amaaaaazing summer!
    Lots of amour from Londres,
    Jose

    ReplyDelete
  2. unfortunately,summer is still not really here..but i am i am njoying the life here
    bisous-bisous,
    Sabrine

    ReplyDelete